Spotlight: Top Gyms in Chiang Mai Thailand
Best Gyms in Chiang Mai Thailand
Sometimes while moving to a new country, it is very easy to lose track of your daily schedule and give fitness a break. While this might be fine if you are on a short trip; on a relatively longer move, it could be quite damaging to your overall health and well-being. Especially in a place like Chiang Mai with a wide array of bars, pubs, roadside joints dishing out delicacies, basic fitness regime is an absolute necessity if you want to keep in shape and remain healthy. It is exactly, for this reason, I have created this compelling list of some of the best-known gyms in Chiang Mai which have a healthy ambiance, clean equipment, regularly maintained and a strong line of clientele.
- Go Gym Fitness Center: Established in 2014, this gym has gained popularity mainly because of the strategic location, just off the Super Highway as well as the world-class facilities that are available. Technically it is a huge open shed that houses a wide range of machines and workout options. Members can also incorporate kickboxing training and many other fitness events that are conducted regularly in the gym premises. Several well-known bodybuilders and fitness experts are seen working out here and can be quite an inspirational outpost for a fitness buff. Easy availability of many protein based snacks and healthy traveling food carts right outside the gym is an added advantage. This is my personal gym!
The rates for the services start from as low as 60 baht per usage to 5900 baht for the entire year. The rate for a 6-month membership is around 3500 baht while monthly charges are around 900 baht per month. Some out of the box and interesting fitness options like hoops and silk facilities along with aerobic classes is a major attraction at this gym.
- Powerhouse Gym: A relatively fancier option than most common and popular gyms across Chiang Mai, the focus here is primarily on Aerobics, kickboxing, Power weight and the like. However, members can also take advantage of the various cardio machines and free weights available at this gym. The on-site sauna is a big hit and major attraction for many who avail the facilities It is situated on Nimmanhaemin Road, the hub and favorite hangout destination for most youngsters and teenagers. Day long memberships cost about 400 THB while membership for a year would be in the range of 9500-13500 THB.
- Strong Gym: This is located at the Huay Kaew Road and is more than 6 years old. Recently it was renamed Strong Gym after a makeover of what was earlier Kawee Power Zone. It is a highly affordable and easily a satisfactory option especially if you do not want to spend a huge amount of money for your gym expenses in Chiang Mai. Exercising and workout machine options range from treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical trainers to even swimming pool facility option available on a paid basis. Members can even opt for their own personal trainers if they so wish to. The daily charges are 70 THB while yearly rate would be 5500 THB. Interested fitness buffs who might not be very regular can also opt for 350 THB coupon that facilitates 10 visits in 20 days.
- Harris Gym & Fitness Centre: In fact, the Strong Gym uses the same swimming pool that is in the Lotus Hotel where the Harris Gym is located. It is also close to the Powerhouse Gym. I want to emphasize here is that a large number of gyms in proximity ensures that most of these are well maintained and competitively priced for fear of losing out clientele. However, this is a relatively high-end gym with English speaking staff and a wide range of workout alternatives. The daily charges are around 200 THB while yearly rates with a pool facility are 13000 THB. There are lucrative monthly and six monthly rates as well. Jazz, Yoga, Hip hop and aerobic classes along with the regular cardio workouts and free weights continue to be the highlig ht of this gym and continue to attract a large number of clients on a regular basis. There is no pressure on fitness enthusiasts to sign up for long-term or promotional deals.
- Chiang Mai 700-Years Stadium: A multi-purpose sporting complex, this place is located near the Convention center in Chiang Mai. Strategically positioned next to Huay Tung Tao Lake, this continues to be a great place to workout and exercise. Built for professionals, it has world class running tracks, a 50-meter long pool, basketball, tennis and volleyball courts and a big favorite amongst locals and long-term expats. The entry fee starts from a nominal 60 THB and offers great value for money option for serious fitness enthusiasts looking to workout at suitable and affordable fitness centers.
- Huay Tung Tao Lake: The lake close to the 700-years Stadium is a great fitness center in itself. It is free for tourists, and they run along the paved roads around the lake. The more adventurous and athletic types can even go for treks along the route. And take advantage of the beautiful natural beauty not just to relax but ensure one’s good health as well.
- Nong Bua Park: Another free to use a natural resource, tourists and locals use this facility for various workout options. It provides several options like bikes, steppers, cross-trainers. There is also a basketball and volleyball court for the sporting enthusiasts. The 500-meter running track is an added advantage.